Friday, July 15, 2011

Devotionals: Active Word - July 16, 2011

Devotionals
www.crosswalk.com

Active Word - July 16, 2011
16 Jul 2011, 5:00 am

Slow and stop

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city. Proverbs 16:32 (NKJV)

Think back to a time when you lost your temper and said or did something foolish, something you truly regretted, something you wish you could get a “do over” on. Whatever it was, it’s more than likely you did it in haste, without stopping to consider the consequences it would bring.

Many mistakes are made in the heat of the moment, which is why we need to pay close attention to the wise warning in Proverbs 16:32. The writer says it’s better to be a person who is slow to anger than a person who is mighty, and it’s more beneficial to rule your spirit than being able to take on a city.

When our buttons get pushed, there’s tremendous value in slowing our spirit and stopping to pray. When we’re in a situation where it would be easy and natural to act out in anger,  we need to seek the Lord and see how He wants us to react. That’s called “ruling our spirit,” and it’s a mark of spiritual maturity and might.

“Sounds good, but you don’t have any idea how quickly my temper gets the best of me. I don’t know if I can break that habit.”

Well, let’s apply Proverbs 6:6 (please refer to July 6) and prepare today for what might happen tomorrow. Let’s ask the Lord to go before us, helping us to slow down and pray when we get angry.

Lord, please help me recognize when I’m about to do something I’ll later regret. Rule my spirit by your Holy Spirit. Give me the ability to deny my natural tendency to act without thinking. Help me say yes to your ways. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath… (James 1:19 NKJV)

Think About It…

What does this passage reveal to me about God?
What does this passage reveal to me about myself?
Based on this, what changes do I need to make?
What is my prayer for today?

SPECIAL OFFER

New 365 Devotional Volume 2

God's mercy is new every day. That's because it's needed daily. So to help you walk through a fresh new day, the Active Word has put together this second volume of the 365 Devotional.  Our hope in creating this series of devotionals, is to help you connect with God's Word 365 days a year. And the best thing is, you can start any day of the year. Stay in step with God's Word, His will, and learn to live out your faith, daily.

 

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment